Saturday, November 15, 2008

Final Reflection (Blog Post #7)

Looking back at my first post, being able to communicate effectively to establish good relationships still holds true. Effective communication is essential for the fostering and strengthening of relationships with our family, friends and future colleagues. Besides the 48 hours of official tutorial hours, there were countless hours of hard work outside class to meet the various deadlines of assignments, such as the resume and blog posts, and of course, the survey report project.


The written assignments of this course had improved my understanding of written communication. At the start of the course, I had no idea what the 7Cs of writing was. Now, I am able to remember to apply the 7Cs to my writings. Working on the survey report project also plays a big part to my learning. I am now able to understand the scientific research approach to reports and how to write a formal one. In my first post, I had mentioned that nonverbal communication is a skill that is not as easy to master. Through this course, my understanding of this aspect of communication was enhanced. Nonverbal communication cues, such as maintaining eye contact and appropriate postures in communicating, are now pointers that I always remind myself when communicating with other people. This skill is particularly important when going for a job interview. This course had also taught me a lot about being in a job interview and writing a resume and cover letter when applying for a job. And the list of questions that interviewers might ask really lets me think hard on giving the appropriate answer. This is important as I’ll be graduating next semester.


Though the skills that we have learnt at the end of this course are important, the friendships, which were established with our tutor and classmates, are also as significant. I believe I have learnt more than just effective professional communication. For my last post, I would like to express my gratitude and appreciation to Ms Kim and my fellow classmates.


Thanks Ms Kim! Thanks for the guidance and teachings on the various topics in this course. We really appreciated your patience and sharing of your work experiences in class. Oh! And not forgetting your treat of sponge cakes and egg tarts on the last lesson, thank you!


Thank you fellow classmates: Peng Siang, Hui Min, You Fei, Matthew, Shaun, Joyce, Illya, Miranda, Brandon, Jia Hwa, Edwin, Chen Xin, Dai Jing, Yun Nian, Gary and Zhi Lian! (It’s according to the usual seating arrangement!) I have certainly enjoyed the course with all of you as my tutorial mates, especially my project group mates. Thanks Brandon, Joyce and Miranda! It has been a wonderful experience working with the three of you. Hope that all of you had fun too. And also, pardon my noisiness in class or “craziness” as you all put it (and Brandon’s, Haha!). Well, it’s a 12 weeks, 4 hours weekly course! We would not want it to be dull and boring, no? Anyway, thank you everyone and all the best to whatever you do! Here's my msn/facebook/email add: chew_cg@yahoo.com.sg. Keep in touch!


It’s not what you do. It’s who you do it with that makes all the difference.

6 comments:

Hui Min said...

hello!
We all looked so happy in the photo! haha. shows that we were all satisfied with the module and had enjoyed it. (at least i did..)
Yes, the 7Cs are definitely helpful when writing all sorts of reports. Other than that, I also agree that establishing good relationships is very important. You definetly met that aspect, especially with many of the guys in our class.haha. (hope you get what i mean)
Anw, all the best for your FYP!

Shaun Ler said...

Hey CG! Thanks for the joy and laughter (although a bit loud at times) that you have brought to the class. It is people like you that make the boring tutorial classes more interesting. Haha.

I agree that the 7Cs of writing is an important skill that we have acquired. It has helped me tremendously especially in writing reports and essays.

As what Hui Min has mentioned, I also agree that establishing good relationships and expanding one's social network is important. It is really great having you as a friend! All the best for your papers and keep in touch! =)

Brandon said...

Hi CG, I too realised how important the 7Cs of writing are in conveying an idea especially in a persuasive tone. I learnt that being persuasive is not merely writing about the problem and proposing solutions, but more of first understanding the target reader’s current stand on the issue and subsequently working around it. Regarding nonverbal communication cues, I have also come to a better awareness of the importance of displaying appropriate nonverbal cues in different situations, yet not reading too much into other people’s nonverbal behaviours as it might differ for every individual. This is especially so for people from other cultures as gestures and practices can vary quite widely.

Superb semester! =)

Joyce said...

Hi Chong Guan!
The 7Cs are indeed very useful as they allow us to put our points across most effectively! Yet, I feel that it would take some effort to actually be conscious of the 7Cs!
This is because sometimes I tend to get too engrossed when writtng, and would end up forgetting about the 7Cs. I'm not too sure if you've experienced this too, but at least I have! Therefore I really really really need to bear in mind the 7Cs ALL THE TIME!
I'm really glad that you have learnt alot from the 'job search' component, because I've gain alot from that too. Especially since you will be graduating really soon, the skills would undeniably come in handy! Lastly, thanks for being such an encouraging project mate (during the OP rehearsals!), and all the best for your FYP and job-hunt!

Edwin said...

Hello CG! Timbre tonight? =)

Alright! Seriously, I am glad that you managed to learn so many new skills from this course. Just like you, I had no idea what the 7Cs were before the course. However after this course, I am able to use this 7Cs concepts in writing my lab reports.

I agree with you that the course had taught us alot of things with regards to job searching. I believe this skills are so much more relevant to you at this point of time since you will be graduating next semester. Hopefully, when the time comes for both of us, we will be able to apply what we have learnt.

Lastly, I wish you all the best for your upcoming exams and also, your future endeavour! Thank you so much for all the laughter and joy you brought to our class!

grace kim said...

Hi Chong Guan,

Am glad that the course has been beneficial to you. I hope that the skills learnt will serve you well when you start looking for a job as well as in your relationships with your family, friends, etc.

It has been great having you in my class. Will always remember the laughter between you and Brandon and the rest of your group. Thanks for livening up the class and for making my experience a memorable one!

All the best in your future endeavours!