Saturday, September 6, 2008

Potential Research Project Topics (Blog Post #3)

Issue/Problem/Product:

The issue of foreign talents in the recent achievement of Singapore’s Olympic silver medal.

General research question:

Do Singaporeans take pride in the foreign talents that has helped the nation to clinch the first Olympic medal in 48 years?

Hypothesis:

Having a campaign to promote the foreign talents’ image of being citizens of Singapore will allow more people to embrace them as being true Singaporeans and their achievements will not be looked upon negatively.

Problem statement:

The objective of this study is to analyze whether a campaign to promote the foreign talents’ image of being citizens of Singapore will allow more people to embrace them as true Singaporeans and take pride in their achievements for the nation.

Target readers:

Singaporeans, foreign talents and relevant authorities such as the Singapore Sports Council.

Purpose statement:

One objective of this report is to inform the relevant authorities such as the Singapore Sports Council that there is a segment of the Singapore population that looks negatively upon the achievements of the foreign talents in the recent Olympics. Also, another objective is to persuade the authorities that, by having a campaign to promote these foreign talents’ image of being citizens, it will allow more people to embrace them as true Singaporeans and take pride in their achievements.

Purpose of Survey:

To accurately determine the percentage of Singaporeans who view the achievement of the Olympic silver medal by foreign talents negatively. Also, it is to determine if having a campaign to promote the foreign talents’ image will aid in Singaporeans’ acceptance of their achievements for the nation.

5 comments:

Yun Nian said...

Hi Chong Guan, hasn't the Straits Times already done a similar survey many times over before the Olympics and after the winning of the silver medal?

Anyway I vaguely remember that the Straits Times' survey results showed that a sizeable proportion of Singaporeans still do not feel pride about our Olympic achievement.

As for campaigning to promote the image of foreign talents as Singaporeans, I believe the Straits Times has already bombarded us with such propanganda before and after the Olympics. Perhaps you should check out the newspaper archives.

Joyce said...

Hi CG, Joyce here. I guess this would be quite an interesting topic to research on, since it has been in the news recently. I'm not sure if I'm right, but the general research question doesnt really seem to go with the hypothesis. I would think that the hypothesis should be something like "Singaporeans do not take pride........" Or alternatively, the general question should be something like "Would having a campaign help promote........" At least that is what I think. Please do correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, no doubt this topic would be an interesting one, I think it would not be easy doing the survey, as I think most Singaporeans are not quite bothered by it, because the Olimpics doesn't concern them anyway. I for one, would not even bother about this, its kind of like 'ok, win then win lor(sic)' lackadaisical attidude. I don't know if it is just me or what, but that is what I feel.=)

Brandon said...

Hello Chong Guan, since the Straits Times has done a poll on this issue, perhaps it would be more appropriate if the research question was “Would Singaporeans take pride in local talents if they improved on their performance, but not win any medals?” I feel that we have become disillusioned about being the top, being results oriented and winning, to the extent that we fail to recognise the true spirit of national pride.

On a personal level, a question comes to my mind, “Would I still be proud of my children/friends/family if they are not the best?” Yes, I would and I should! Similarly, our local talents are like a part of our family. Therefore, I believe that national pride is developed when we become proud that they have done their best, not necessarily, be the best. Replacing local talents with foreigners for the sake of winning unquestionably kills national pride instantly. Therefore, with the research question in mind, I feel a campaign could be useful to promote the true meaning of national pride and hopefully persuade the Sports Council to retain local talents to rekindle the pride we once had.

Chong Guan said...

Thanks Joyce and Brandon! Your comments have been insightful and made me thought about how i can improve my research topic. I'll bring it up in our formal meeting on Tues.

miranda said...

Hey CG!
Ermm..
I think the GRQ should be something like: How should pride be instilled in Singaporeans so that they will be proud of foreign talents who made the country proud. Something along the line. With this, the hypothesis would sound correct.

anyway, I personally like this topic because this was always something that I have talked about with my friends and family.

The issue raised during Olympics Games was a question that we face day in day out. Personally, I cant be bothered about the medal. It wasn't won by a Singaporean, it was won by Singapore Citizens. There is a big difference between these two categories.

I remembered pretty vividly that when the medal was won, the news actually did a short report on how the OTHER countries employed foreign talents to play for their country. The news mentioned countries like Netherlands, USA(for coaches) etc.

This problem is pretty relevant as Singapore is 'facing the crisis' of influx of other talents.

I like this topic! Well done!